Monday, December 15, 2008

Reflecting

As the class ends, I find myself with a lot of knowledge about Computer Mediated Communication. Prior to taking this Electronic Communications class, I used Computer Mediated Communication, but could not have told someone what CMC stands for or means. Now, I am more knowledgeable in the various types of electronic communication, and it's effect on people.
I have realized the large group of people whose lives are surrounded by electronic communication. Sadly, my life is included in that. I text constantly, always call my friends and family, instant message, and of course check my Facebook account 2-4 times a day.  The week fast the class went on, with no Facebook, text messaging, and instant messaging, definitely opened my eyes to my addiction to electronic communication and how very prevalent it is in my life.
One thing I have realized though, is without it, I would not have maintained the relationships with my high school friends like I have. Though I have came to Westminster and met some wonderful friends here, I still consider my high school friends my best friends. Our bond has only strengthened since we left each other almost two years ago. This I feel, would not have been possible had it not been for the various forms of electronic communication that have allowed us to communicate on a daily basis despite the hundreds of miles that separate us. 
Overall, I enjoyed the class and am left with a better view of the effect that Computer Mediated Communication has on society today, including myself.

No comments: