Sunday, November 9, 2008

IM lingo

       Not only have we became a society so enthralled with computer mediated communication as opposed to face to face, but we also have created our own language to go along with it. I read an article from sciencedaily.com that discusses the AOL Instant Messaging language. The article states how people over the age of 30 would not understand the language because it was created by those from the younger generation. Dr. Pamela Takayoshi, a professor at Kent State University, said "Instant messaging, or IM, is not just bad grammar or a bunch of mistakes. IM is a separate language form from formal English and has a common set of language features and standards." Dr. Christina Haas, also from Kent State University, along with four undergraduate students performed a study on the language of Instant Messaging. The found the IM language to be playful, explicit, and abbreviated.
     The article brings up a good point saying that most technologies used today, especially for young people in my opinion, are writing technologies. Things such as blogs, text messaging, social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook, along with IM all are what the Kent State students considered "writing technologies." Through these technological programs, people not only communicate through computer mediated programs, but also use their writing skills as well. I believe that a lot of our IM language is abbreviated, and that just goes along with how lazy the younger generation can be. Instead of typing out "be right back," it is easier to simply say "brb." And using things such as "lol," meaning "laugh out loud," helps to fill in the gap between face to face communication and computer mediated communication. Meaning, since you can't physically hear or see someone laugh, they say "lol" to let one know they actually are.
 People have also studied they use of the IM language in face to face conversations. I personally find it silly in general to have an IM language, but am guilty of throwing around a few "lol's" myself. In text messages especially, however, I am annoyed when people do not spell out words, saying things like "ur" instead of "your." What's another two letters to type?
         The researchers are also now interested in studying the Facebook language and comparing it to that of the IM language. I feel like all computer mediated communication lingo's are all the same, whether it be IM, a social networking site, or text messaging.
        Well, ttyl. :)

5 comments:

Emily said...

Kate-

I hate IM lingo. It irratates me that a person just cant spell out the real word.

The only lingo I use is LOL or TMR for tomorrow, and thats it. Mainly for two reasons: 1. im not changing my language because of technology, and 2. I text my mother all the time. she would have no idea what i was talking about if i was indepth with my im lingo.

Carly said...

I agree that not spelling out some words is annoying. Also, I think that abbreviating every other word is a bad habit to form. I know that because of AIM, I have a tendency to not capitalize letters that should be capital, and now I have to pay special attention to it when I send emails and write papers.

Blaise said...

I feel like IM language has become so popular and is used so often. It's funny because I notice when typing my blogs and they are about CMC, I use the language to explain situations. When I do this however, I get very annoyed because when spell check does not recognize these forms of language. I am starting to feel like they should because it is now become so popular but then again if they did I guess language, IM or face to face, would change all together.

jenn said...

I totally agree with not spelling out the word. It's not like you are writing it out which takes time, you are hitting a few extra keys on the keyboard. What is so hard with doing that. And then when people use the IM lingo in everyday conversation, that drives me carzy. A lot of students that I went to high school with would use the lingo and it wouldn't make sense.

Sarah said...

I can't stand it when I am texting someone and they say ur, u, or omg. I think that using T9 in texting is easier than the abc option. There are also a lot of people that use that lingo in regular conversation.